Witsand or Port Beaufort is situated at the mouth of the mighty Breede River, is a destination with a difference. The Breede River is the largest river estuary in South Africa and is recognized as one of the best fishing estuaries in the country with a tidal action that reaches 60km upstream.
Witsand claim to fame is that this Eastern Coast Town have the largest concentration of Southern Right Whales on the South African coast, growing at an annual rate of 7%. The official whale count done from helicopter in October 2004, revealed … adults and .. calves in St Sebastian Bay. On a good day up to 50 whales are visible from shore. (season: June to Mid November) Witsand’s situation lends itself as a base to spend 3 or 4 days exploring the surrounds.
- Places include, Infanta, Heidelberg, Swellendam, Riversdale, Montague and the pont at Malagas.
- 250 Inhabitants Location: Beaches Nearby like Riverside Witsand offers 4km of long, clean, white sandy beaches (hence Witsand).
- Over 181 species of birds, including our national bird the Blue Crane as well as the majestic Fish Eagle, the rare African Black Oystercatcher and an amazing variety of other.
- Each year the Southern Right Whales come to our shores between June and November to mate and calf. Witsand enjoys to lion’s share of these visits due to the bay being the prime nursery for cow / calf pairs.
- Infanta, De Hoop Nature and Marine reserve hosts 3000 ha of unspoiled Cape fynbos. While is also the home to the endangered Cape mountain Zebra and Cape vultures, with it’s rich diversity of wildlife, plants and culture it is a unique experience.
Kruger Safari Winner
Reviews & Feedbacks
- International Countries
- Mauritius Reviews
- Egypt Holidays
- Kruger Park Reviews
- Overland Adventures
- Cape Town Tours