Family or Business Team Building Holidays to experience the Richtersveld on inflatable rafts and use the Orange River rafting Trails as mode of transport.
Holiday-Makers explore the only mountain desert in South Africa on our Orange River Rafting trips. This is an adventure suitable for the whole family. Let our experienced guides lead you through one of the most striking landscapes South Africa has to offer.
The perfect outdoor Orange River adventures with fun filled rapids, hiking and discovering the stark beauty of the Richtersveld desert. Sleep under the stars or in a tent. Our 4 Day Rafting Trail will take you from the base camp through the Nababeep Community & Richtersveld Community Reserve.
- Rafting along the Orange River(on the South Africa/Namibia Border)
- Sleeping under the starts (or tent)
- The only mountain desert in South Africa
- Family friendly excursion
*Passports are compulsory
Time Frame: 1 night base camp & 3 nights on river.
Distance: 45-65 km (depending on the water level).
Tour Starts: 8:30 / 9:00 am on morning of day 2.
Equipment: 2 man inflatable rafts, paddles, floatation devices, cooler box for drinks and dry bags for personals.
Starts: The Growcery Camp
Ends: The Growcery Camp (Transfer back to Base Camp at Take out Point).
All Meals Included
Min 2 passengers
4 Days / 3 Nights
The 4 Day Rafting Trail will take you from our base camp through the Nababeep Community & Richtersveld Community Reserve. Over the next 4 days you can expect to have spectacular mountain views, fast flowing channels and excellent bird life. The River is graded at level 1-3 in difficulty and is suitable for beginners. The Orange River is a pool drop river, ‘which means after every rapid, there is always a pool.
The Richtersveld is home to goat herders trekking through the endless desert mountains. We don’t have designated campsites and camp for the day depends on the progress made that day, where we will choose our overnight spot on the banks of the river. This is a truly great combination of rafting, relaxing, hiking and exploring.
It is not a race, but rather an outdoor expedition suitable for all with no experience. Our guides will be preparing meals on open fires and guide you safely down the Orange River.
Protecting the Environment
No glass is allowed on the river and all waste will be transported along the trail and returned to base camp. Please decanter supplies to plastic containers or make use of cans.
What to Pack
- Sleeping bag
- Roll mat
- Blow up mattress
- Torch/ head lamp
- Small dry bag for camera & snacks
- Sunglasses (with safety strap), lip balm, hat, sunscreen
- Water bottle, 6 bin liners
- T-Shirts, Khikoi, shorts, strops, sweater, long pants, second skin, swimsuit, towel
- Hiking boots
- Tent, umbrella, camping chairs, cycling gloves for paddling
- Own drinks (no glass allowed), Rehydrate sachets
- Personal medical kit, insect repellent (Stingose), toiletries, bio degradable soap, toilet paper
- Cash (No card facilities at base camp) and a good sense of adventure
Border crossing procedures prior to arrival at The Growcery
- At the Vioolsdrift border post stamp out of South Africa
- Proceed to Namibian Customs and get stamped into Namibia
- Do not pay any road taxes for Namibia as your vehicles should not enter the country
- Turn around and go back to South Africa without getting any more stamps in your passport
The last stamp when you get to our base camp must state entry into Namibia
Families traveling with children younger than 18 y/o will need an unbridged birth certificate to be allowed to depart and enter South Africa. Furthermore, minors traveling with only one parent, or another party need additional documentation.